Duties Summary This announcement is issued under the Direct Hire Authority (DHA) to recruit for positions for which there is a critical hiring need. Selectee(s) will receive a career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service and may be required to serve a one year probationary period. Who May be Considered:
- Open & closing dates 11/25/2020 to 07/31/2021
- Service Competitive
- Pay scale & grade GS 9 - 12
- Salary $53,433 to $113,362 per year
- Appointment type Permanent
- Work schedule Full-Time
Responsibilities Joining the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) means being part of the team focused on securing the Nation's physical and cyber infrastructure against threats to public health and safety, economy, and national security. Visit www.cisa.gov to learn more about CISA and how you can be part of the team to Defend Today; Secure Tomorrow. This is an agency-wide position, which is comprised of several geographically separated divisions with a nationwide force: Infrastructure Security Division, Cybersecurity Division, Emergency Communications Division, National Risk Management Center and several organizational units. Typical work assignments include:
- U.S. Citizens
- View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Travel Required 25% or less - You may be expected to travel for up to 5 nights per month for this position.Supervisory status No Promotion Potential 12Requirements Conditions of Employment
- Implementing security requirements such as those resulting from laws, regulations or Presidential directives.
- Reviewing and evaluating security incident response policies.
- Resolving integration issues related to the implementation of new systems with the existing infrastructure.
- Conducting risk and vulnerability assessments of planned and installed information systems to identify vulnerability, risks and protection needs of activities.
- Providing technical advice and guidance to Department managers and other technical specialists on significant information security problems and issues.
- Coordinating and providing technical support to enterprise-wide cyber defense technicians to resolve cyber defense incidents.
- Documenting and escalating incidents (including event's history, status, and potential impact for further action) that may cause ongoing and immediate impact to the environment.
Qualifications This is an open continuous announcement for 60 days, or until all positions are filled. It will be used to fill immediate and future vacancies for this agency. There may be multiple cut-off dates with the first being 10 days after the initial opening date of 11/25/2020. Additional cut-off dates may be established as needed until all vacancies have been filled.You qualify for the GS-09 grade level (starting salary $53,433.00) if you possess information technology related experience demonstrating each of the four required competencies: Attention to Detail- Analyzing software to identify areas for improvements; Customer Service- Providing support to system users; Oral Communication- Communicating technical information orally to non-technical audiences; Problem Solving- Providing alternatives to resolve IT issues. In addition to the above requirement you must have at least one year of specialized experience at the GS-07 grade level performing at least one of the following duties:
- You to apply for this position.
- You must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Selective Service registration required.
- You must be able to obtain and hold a Top Secret/SCI or lower level security clearance as identified by CISA.
- You must submit to a drug test and receive a negative test result prior to appointment to this position. After appointment, you may be subject to periodic random drug testing.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized. Other recruitment incentives may be authorized.
- New employees must serve a one year probationary period.
- This position has been designated excluded from bargaining unit representation under the national security provision of 5 U.S.C. 7112(B)(6).
- All employees are required to participate in Direct Deposit/ Electronic Funds Transfer for salary payments.
- You are required to submit a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE-450, (5CFR Part 2634, Subpart I USOGE, 6/08). Executive Branch Personnel Confidential Financial Disclosure Report upon entering the position, as well as annually.
- Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions
- This position may be designated as essential personnel. Essential personnel must be able to serve during continuity of operation events without regard to declarations of liberal leave or government closures due to weather, protests, and acts of terrorism or lack of funding. Failure to report for or remain in this position may result in disciplinary or adverse action in accordance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations (5 U.S.C. 7501-7533 and 5 CFR Part 752, as applicable).
- Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- Appointments are subject to the availability of funds.
OR Have a Master's or an equivalent graduate degree or successfully completed two (2) full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks. (You must submit your college transcripts to support your educational claims).You qualify for the GS-11 grade level (starting salary $64,009.00) if you possess information technology related experience demonstrating each of the four required competencies: Attention to Detail- Reviewing IT systems to identify vulnerabilities; Customer Service- Assessing the needs of IT project stakeholders; Oral Communication- Communicating IT security requirements to stakeholders; Problem Solving- Providing recommendations to resolve IT and/or system issues. In addition to the above requirement you must have at least one year of specialized experience at the GS-09 grade level performing at least one of the following duties:
- Communicating computer network concepts to individuals seeking technological support;
- Providing support to ensure compliance of automated information system security protocols and procedures; and
- Expressing technical information to staff to assist with security problem issues.
OR Have a Ph.D.; or an equivalent graduate degree or successfully completed three (3) full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D.; or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks. (You must submit your college transcripts to support your educational claims).You qualify for the GS-12 grade level (starting salary $76,721.00) if you possess information technology related experience demonstrating each of the four required competencies: Attention to Detail- Monitoring information systems or networks to ensure compliance of security measures. Customer Service- Identifying the need for updates to security technologies; Oral Communication- Providing recommendations to other technical specialists on IT security issues; Problem Solving- Identifying potential security risk in IT systems and recommending solutions. In addition to the above requirement you must have at least one year of specialized experience at the GS-11 grade level performing at least one of the following duties:
- Assessing new system design methodologies to improve software quality;
- Conducting risk assessments of installed information systems to identify protection needs of activities; and
- Ensuring integration of security programs with other IT program services.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Current or Former Political Appointees: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office. Qualifications Must Be Met The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Education Are you qualifying based on education? Submit a copy of your college transcript (unofficial is acceptable) or a list of coursework with hours completed. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. For example, specific courses accepted for college-level credit by an accredited U.S. college or university, or foreign education evaluated by an organization recognized for accreditation by the Department of Education as education equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. college or university. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications for more information. Additional information DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select Benefits. Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more. If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment , and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment. E-Verify DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify , including your rights and responsibilities. If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application . You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Other Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application status as well as verify the documentation submitted with your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.How You Will Be Evaluated You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above. Under the provisions of the Direct-Hire Authority, veterans' preference does not apply. We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will use a job questionnaire to further evaluate your experience, education, and training. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Controlling authorization level for all personnel requiring user access to automated information systems;
- Evaluating the security impact of system changes to existing or proposed computerized systems;
- Conducting studies of all new automated information systems equipment to prepare effective security procedures; and
- Ensuring compliance of automated information system security protocols and procedures
If you are determined qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. Preview the Assessment Questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10950050 . Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Program (I/CTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not I/CTAP eligible. View information about I/CTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under I/CTAP, you must be rated at a minimum score of 85 for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement. Interview Requirement: Interviews may be required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration. The interview process may consist of a in-person or phone panel interview. Background checks and security clearance Security clearance Other Drug test required YesRequired Documents To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes: Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed Your responses to the job questionnaire Your college transcripts, if applicable Are you claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Program (I/CTAP)? Submit:
- Customer Service
- Information Systems/Network Security
- Information Technology Architecture
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Technical Competence
Benefits A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new window Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- a copy of your agency notice,
- a copy of your most recent performance rating, and
- a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, noting your current position, grade level, and duty location.