Company Summary Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.Target Openings 1Job Description Summary Travelers is seeking a candidate for an exciting position as a Sr. Software Engineer within the Enterprise Artificial Intelligence organization where they will be tasked with setting and leading (both hands on and delegation) technical direction within the AI/ML space. Our team is tasked with accelerating the use of AI within the broader organization while adhering to principles of responsible AI use; and we take that very seriously!We are searching for a candidate who be technically adept, a creative problem solver, and a great team player!This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Providing hands on technical leadership to a team of software engineers as they design, build, and deploy AI based technology solutions.
- Partner with business and data science counterparts to generate ideas, design sustainable solutions, and establish realistic expectations for deliveries
- Being the primary voice of technical expertise during our agile planning ceremonies.
- Be a team player; foster an environment of learning, respect, and comradery among technical peers.
- Deliver efforts both independently and by leading other team members.
- Lead investigation and resolution efforts for critical, high impact problems, defects, and incidents.
- Act as a technology advocate, independently seeking opportunities where technology can be utilized to improve the business.
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience.
- Three years of programming/development experience.
- Five years of programming/development experience preferred.
- Object Oriented and Functional Programming experience - we are primary a Python based shop but will work with other language as necessary.
- Large scale AWS cloud development and deployment experience
- Experience and adherence to technical best practices (test driven development, architectural patterns, secure coding practices, etc.)
- Relational and NoSQL database experience (graph databases for extra credit!).
- Experience with or around AI/ML technologies. We don't expect every candidate to be able to build a model, but we are looking for a technically proficient software engineer who demonstrates strength in learning new things and an ability to pick up emerging technology.
- Delivery - Advanced delivery skills including the ability to determine the software design strategy and methodology to be used for efforts, use automated tests, analysis, and informed feedback loops to ensure the quality and production readiness of work before release, monitor the health of work efforts and that of adjacent systems.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to develop business partnerships and influence priorities by identifying solutions that are aligned with current business objective and closely follow industry trends relevant to domain, understanding how to apply them, and sharing knowledge with coworkers.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who utilizes data and proofs of concepts to find creative solutions to difficult problems, reflects on solutions, measuring their impact, and uses that information to ideate and optimize. Also adept at making decisions that involve a significant number of factors with broad implications.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document initiatives in a concise and clear manner, collaborate effectively with teammates and others regardless of role, quickly extract core issues from discussions and meetings, give and receive constructive feedback, offer help when asked, and ensure everyone has a chance to share their thoughts and are heard; an attentive and empathetic listener.
- Leadership - Advanced leadership skills with the ability to take action even when there is no clear owner, inspire and motivate others, and be effective at influencing team members.