Dish Spacecraft Operations is looking for an experienced Spacecraft Engineer who will plan, support, execute, and oversee subsystem operations on a fleet of geosynchronous spacecraft. Duties include performing spacecraft commanding, stationkeeping, spacecraft subsystem procedures, anomaly response, and trending and analysis of vehicle health data. Additional responsibilities include preparing reports and communicating status of spacecraft, projects, and operational activities to all levels of the organization while focusing on customer service. This position is available in Gilbert, AZ or Cheyenne, WY.
- Evaluate spacecraft performance and troubleshoot operation of all spacecraft subsystems to optimize quality of service and extend spacecraft mission life
- Maintain situational awareness of both spacecraft and broadcast operations while coordinating and implementing routine and non-routine spacecraft commanding requirements
- Provide direction and support to spacecraft controllers during operational activities
- Perform 24x7 on-call engineering support on a rotating basis. Respond to anomalies, provide initial direction to controllers, initiate and support anomaly resolution efforts.
- Create, review, and maintain spacecraft operational procedures in accordance with established operational policies and practices.
- Review, edit, and publish operations activity schedule. Update spacecraft status reports.
- Plan and direct basic payload reconfigurations to support broadcast operations
- Support new spacecraft development efforts. Review requirements, participate in ground testing of new spacecraft, and support in-orbit test and evaluation activities.
- Investigate and analyze long- and short-term spacecraft performance trends. Manages and approves criteria used for monitoring all spacecraft subsystems.
- Plan and execute spacecraft maneuvers and perform maneuver reconstruction, orbit determination, and prepare short-term orbit strategies.
- Research, develop, and present basic-level training materials to meet initial or recurring requirements
- Conceptualize, develop, and review new processes, methods, scripts, and other tools used by both the engineering and operations teams
- May assist with hiring, onboarding, and mentoring interns including guiding and assigning work on occasion
- Bachelor's degree (B. S.) in engineering, physics, or math from an accredited four-year college or university
- Minimum of 3 to 7 years of spacecraft engineering experience
- Must be a U.S. Person (a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident) as position requires access to U.S. export restricted materials
- Able to fulfill a 24x7 on-call rotation and respond onsite within 30 minutes
- Mathematical Skills-Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability, statistical inference, calculus, differential equations, and fundamentals of plane/solid geometry and trigonometry. Uses and applies concepts such as integration, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to solve problems and reach conclusions.
- Engineering Skills-Ability to apply engineering principles and scientific methods, such as laws of mechanics of particles and solid bodies and application of these laws to real-world engineering problems
- Reasoning Skills-Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, apply visual and spatial reasoning, and draw valid engineering conclusions. Ability to interpret and extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to utilize mathematical and computational tools to solve engineering problems
- Spacecraft engineering experience with MAXAR FS1300 or Lockheed Martin A2100 spacecraft highly desired
- Experience working with Kratos ISI EPOCH TT&C and OASYS, MATLAB, AGI STK software a plus
- General or specialized knowledge in one or more of the following spacecraft subsystems: Attitude Control, Propulsion, Power, Data Handling/Onboard Processing, Thermal, Mechanisms, TT&C, Payload, Flight Dynamics and Orbit Mechanics a plus
- Attentive to details, proactive, and confident personality with good communication skills
- Able to collaborate in a multi-team environment to plan and accomplish tasks and meet objectives
- Communication Skills-Ability to understand, analyze and interpret business periodicals, technical procedures, or government policy. Able to write reports, correspondence, and operations procedures. Uses effective written, visual presentation, and oral strategies to communicate technical problems and concepts to a range of technical and non-technical audiences.