We Are Hiring: The newly formed Experience Research team is looking for an experienced Senior User Experience Researcher to join us in designing the future of people-centered healthcare. Background Ascension, one of the largest non-profit healthcare systems in the United States, has established an in-house, interdisciplinary Research team tasked with shaping the experience strategy and design for digital products and technology-enabled services across the entire spectrum of care delivery. This team - in deep collaboration with colleagues in design, product management, engineering, data science, clinical operations, and more - uses human-centered design methods to understand the needs and motivations of our patients and clinicians and bring solutions to life.The Experience Research team is responsible for understanding end-to-end patient and provider journeys, challenges, and unmet needs to identify the most impactful opportunities for us to address. As a comprehensive healthcare system that includes a vast range of healthcare services, this could include the design of virtual care delivery, nurse communications, remote health monitoring, operating room operations, financial transparency and payment, care coordination, member health benefits, and more.Our research team, comprised of User Experience Researchers, Service Designers and Communications Designers, aspires to create seamless, end-to-end experiences for those we serve through a cohesive ecosystem of well-designed, user-friendly services, products, and applications. From problem discovery to product delivery, we put people at the center of everything we do.This position can be based out of St. Louis, Chicago, or Austin. #ascensionstudio What You Will Do: As a Senior User Experience Researcher you will help lead the discipline and help set the strategy and vision for the team and represent it across Ascension. You will collaborate closely with design, product and engineering leaders to prioritize research opportunities, develop research roadmaps and drive strategic alignment to organizational initiatives. The Experience Research team is responsible for understanding end-to-end patient and provider journeys, challenges, and unmet needs to identify the most impactful opportunities for us to address. As a comprehensive healthcare system that includes a vast range of healthcare services, this could include the design of virtual care delivery, nurse communications, remote health monitoring, operating room operations, financial transparency and payment, care coordination, and more. The Experience research team works collaboratively with designers and product managers on field research, concept envisioning and iterative testing. Expert knowledge of research methods and experience applying a mixed-methods research approach for digital products and services are critical to this role. You will be part of a growing team and will help drive research excellence through industry best practices. Using powerful insight-to-impact stories and innovation workshops you will evangelize the value of a human-centered design approach in the organization by helping demonstrate both the qualitative and measurable impact that Experience Research has on outcomes. Key Responsibilities
- Set and drive strategy for scaling research and design impact across the organization
- Hire and cultivate research and service design talent
- Oversee, prioritize, and activate exploratory, formative and summative research initiatives
- Scope, staff, and advise complex and strategic research programs, including both those within the Products organization and in an advisory capacity to other teams within Ascension
- Serve as subject matter expert on qualitative and quantitative research methods, human-centered design and design thinking
- Guide and participate in research activities across exploratory, evaluative, and validation phases, including but not limited to qualitative and quantitative data gathering, contextual inquiry, ethnography, empathy exercises, co-design sessions, synthesis methods, usability evaluations, and A/B testing
- Ensure quality of research work, drive research excellence as well as research team compliance with relevant regulations and best practices
- Disseminate research findings to various teams through communication assets such as reports, presentations, user journey maps, design principles, frameworks, workflows, day-in-the-life scenarios, and use case summaries
- Train Ascension associates in research methods and best practices
- Experience building and leading UX Research or Service Design teams and operations
- Strong knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and their application, especially human-centered and design thinking methods
- Experience conducting ethnography, semi-structured interviews, focus groups, contextual field visits, workflow analysis, surveys, usability testing and human factors studies
- Strong knowledge of statistics and research study design
- Experience conducting experience research in healthcare
- Experience representing Experience Research and human-centered design with executive leadership
- Experience working on multiple fast-paced research projects across the product lifecycle
- Experience collaborating with technical and non-technical business stakeholders and managing engagements with external partners
- Experience working with agile design and development teams Excellent storytelling and communication skills
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
- Preferred focus in Human Factors, Design Research, Service Design, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, or similar field.
- Master's degree preferred.
- 5 years of leadership or management experience preferred.