“We Push the Boundaries of Possibilities for our Communities.”
Overview of the Position Responsibilities: Our Network Engineer I will be responsible for being one of the senior leaders of the networking team in support of Bluepeak’s voice, video, and data products. The successful candidate shall help to develop and maintain the high-level design/strategy plan for the overall logical and technical architecture for Metro, Access, and Backbone networks. This individual will provide technical leadership and consulting across the organization, from strategic decision through implementation. If this sounds exciting, please read on.
Be part of our innovation- building and delivering a fiber-rich internet connection to people’s doorsteps.
What You Will Do:
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has knowledge/experience in the field of computer science/electrical engineering who is looking for a job to elevate their career list.
- Build, Operate and Deploy the network equipment and services to support Bluepeak customers with a high level of performance and reliability
- Generates as-builts, including both logical and physical network diagrams, documents, testing analyses, test plans and method of procedure to ensure successful deployment, changes, and operations of the Bluepeak network
- Troubleshoot and implement network changes and deployments to best meet company requirements
- Troubleshoots complex data, voice, and video network and hardware problems; researches and analyzes significant, complex network problems that require evaluation of intangibles
- Determines methods and procedures to be implemented and used on new technologies to enhance performance
- Determines approach for implementation, based on assessment of market/regional needs
- Works closely with the engineering and technology teams to ensure open communication, exchange of ideas and collaboration
- Ensures standards are followed and that the network is maintained with discipline and best practices
- Work with Operations and Field Engineering teams to ensure network changes are deployable, and able to be operated with minimal impacts to customers, and operating expenses
- Work with vendor partners to ensure engineering requirements are aligned with product roadmaps
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, or 1-3+ years’ experience in service provider networks
- Upon job offer, must be able to complete a background check and a drug test prior to employment
- Routing (OSPF, IS-IS, BGP) and switching expertise. Extensive network engineering and architecture experience - excellent understanding of Internet and datacenter topologies
- Experience, configuring, and troubleshooting a variety of network equipment especially Juniper, Cisco, Brocade, and Alcatel-Lucent - solid understanding of associated vendor hardware architecture and characteristics
- Understanding of various L2/L3 protocols and technologies: TCP/IP (v4 & v6) and related protocols, MPLS-based services, QOS, BFD, LACP, VRRP, STP, etc.
- Understanding of Layer 4-7 switching/load balancing and application integration. Understanding of network-based security protocols and methods (eg IPSec, SSL, TLS, ACLs)
- Ability to investigate new technologies, develop scalable network solutions, and put together well-thought-out documents to propose new configurations, architectures, services, and policies
- Analytical approach to problem solving and usage of methodical & documented processes to propose network enhancements
- Experience in a 24/7 Internet facing production environment and ensuring customer requirements are effectively anticipated and met according to scope, criticality, and severity level
- Must be able to perform basic mathematical functions/calculations
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to walk; sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to lift to 25 pounds
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions
- Must be able to meet the physical limit requirements of personal protective equipment, aerial lift equipment, ladders and/or gaffs that may be used in this position
- The noise level in the environment is moderate
- The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate
- Employees may be required to work more than 40 hours per week and other than normal business hours, such as holidays, evenings, and weekends as business demands
- Be available to travel to locations across Bluepeak’s service footprint
Why Work at Bluepeak?
- Competitive Compensation + Annual Bonus Eligibility
- Comprehensive Benefits Package, Including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and 401(k)
- Generous Vacation and Paid Sick Time + Paid Holidays and Personal Days
- Professional Development With an Emphasis on Internal Promotion
- Employee Discounts on Bluepeak Services, Including Internet
- Progressive and inclusive work culture in which our team has the flexibility, support, and resources to be successful in their careers!
We believe that the size of the city shouldn’t determine the quality of the technology. That’s why we are building for you: Faster, more reliable, and without the things that get in the way of great service—like red tape, hidden fees, and slow response times. And with up to 5 gigabits of speed for residential customers and 10 gigabits for businesses, we are whole new ballgame- from internet to TV, to connecting every device in your home, to powering your business, we’re not only providing the best fiber connections in your community, but we’re also meeting the growing needs for how you live.
Bluepeak is an Equal Opportunity Employer