The Virginian-Pilot/Daily Press - an award-winning, multi-platform news operation with a growing audience - seeks an energetic storyteller who is adept at producing engaging, creative content, from narrative pieces to quick and quirky takes.
Hampton Roads is filled with world renowned museums, attracts the top names in performing arts and has a reputation of producing its fair share of entertainers, too. We’re looking for an experienced features and entertainment writer who likes a little bit of everything: personality profiles; television and music trends; stories that tell readers the important and fun things to do in the region.
Tribune Publishing is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. Because that’s the only way we will deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
Here’s why you should work for us:
- We’re the largest news operation in Virginia, with coverage from Richmond to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. That’s a big audience — looking for both statewide and hyperlocal coverage.
- We aim for ambitious journalism that makes an impact on Virginians’ lives. Our staff features many award winners, including multiple Pulitzer finalists.
- We are passionate about what we do here and are committed to both serving readers and helping our journalists develop new skills. Here you will work with talented editors who encourage you to take chances, grow skills and make a difference.
Here’s what we ask in return:
- You must have strong news judgment, a collaborative approach and a desire to get the story swiftly and accurately.
- You appreciate the depth a features beat offers readers: enticing and timely topics, engaging readers with a unique voice, offering guidance about how to enjoy our beautiful communities.
- You must be able to thrive in our fast-paced operation and capable of producing a variety of content: photos and videos, tweets, short updates for web, and print stories with deep context.
A college degree is required. At least two years’ experience in daily journalism is preferred.
The Virginian-Pilot/Daily Press is a progressive news operation with a focus on communication and collaboration at all levels. Working with fellow reporters, photographers and senior editors is a typical day on the job. Input and creativity is not just welcome, it’s required. In this ever-changing media landscape, a sense of humor also helps.
While we continue to work remotely during the pandemic, the best candidate will be able to move to the Hampton Roads area or currently be in market.
Send cover letter, resume and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tribune Publishing Company is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, Tribune Publishing Company operates local media businesses in eight markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida’s Sun-Sentinel, Virginia’s Daily Press and The Virginian-Pilot, The Morning Call of Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, and the Hartford Courant.
Tribune Publishing Company also operates Tribune Content Agency (TCA) and the Daily Meal.
Our brands are committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities. We create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.