Dennis Publishing, based in the UK and the US, has more than 30 brands that cover current affairs, technology, automotive, and lifestyle, selling 2.5 million magazines per month and reaching more than 50 million unique users online.
Application closing date: April 24th 2020
One of its premier products, The Week, was founded in the UK in 1995, and the American edition started in 2001. The Week distills news and opinion from the US and international media to provide readers with "all they need to know about everything that matters.'' The magazine's coverage is broad, encompassing domestic and international news, global commentary, and the latest developments in business, technology, the arts, culture, and leisure. Dennis's most recent acquisition is Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine, the company's first in the U.S. since being acquired by UK private equity firm Exponent in October. The Week Junior (TWJ), an award-winning weekly news magazine for children ages 8 to 14, launched in the UK in 2015 and has become the country's fastest-growing magazine. It launched in the US this Spring
As Senior Staff Writer of TWJ US edition, you will make important contributions to the editorial content of the magazine. You will be a crucial member of the team, doing your part to ensure that the US version meets the highest standards and adheres to the mission, priorities, and principles established by the UK publication. You will work with the staff to produce an ambitious, information-rich, lively, engaging, entertaining, trusted, and accessible source of knowledge and inspiration for its young readers.
- Support the editorial direction set by the EIC, helping to ensure that the content of each issue achieves the goals set for it and always striving for excellence.
- Contribute ideas during the weekly story conference, showing excellent news judgment and offering thoughts and opinions about the mix of stories and how they should be handled.
- Report and write multiple stories every week, with a goal of delivering clean, accurate, and audience-appropriate copy, meeting all deadlines, and handling feedback in a positive way.
- Oversee and own sections of the magazine (such as current events, science, animals, entertainment, and arts), staying informed about news and trends that matter to our young readers.
- Research and write future stories so that less time-sensitive copy is finished ahead of time.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with copy and research to ensure that any problems with stories are addressed quickly and accurately.
- Contribute to TWJ's efforts to communicate with parents via social media, overseeing and creating content as needed.
- Contribute to additional projects—such as SIPs, spinoffs, annuals, and supplements—as required.
- Identify and work with the staff to solve problems as they arise.
- Solid experience on a magazine, newspaper, or website
- Superb editing and writing skills
- Solid news judgment
- Understanding of and respect for the target audience
- Ability to manage workload and pace of a newsweekly
- Excellent organizational and technological skills
At Dennis, we're dedicated to creating brands that people want to work with, and a culture that people want to work in. We're unique, and so are you. You'll enjoy a host of benefits and perks when you join us, on top of a satisfying salary. And that's not all:
Being Brilliantly different is part of our DNA – our success is built upon it. What makes you unique is what makes us unique and we're proud to foster and promote an environment of inclusivity and a celebration of individuality. Dennis does not discriminate. We recruit purely based on your skills, talent and your potential. If you feel you are right for the role, we'd very much like to hear from you!