JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Cancer Treatment Center
REPORTS TO: Cancer Center Director
JOB SUMMARY: The Medical Assistant must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective to the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the departments policies and procedures.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Graduate from an accredited medical assistant program or equivalent experience preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Previous customer service and/or medical office experience preferred.
SKILLS: Communicate effectively with personnel and interact effectively with a wide variety of patients. Knowledge regarding aseptic technique, up-to-date on currently used drugs, their actions, and side effects. Understanding of medical/legal considerations. Able to take pertinent, concise history. Ability to verbally present information and ideas. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Experience in understanding and usage of computers as well as ability to learn applications. Able to perform effectively in highly stressful situations. Must be able to interact effectively with a wide variety of people. Able to serve as an example to other employees.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATIONS: BLS
- Answering telephones
- Updating, filing, and scanning patient medical records
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Scheduling appointments
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Completes purchase orders, maintains inventory, and orders items from material management.
- Makes out maintenance requests and insures items are repaired.Medical Assistant Functions:
- Taking medical histories
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examination
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Performing basic laboratory tests
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a provider
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- Drawing blood
- Taking electrocardiograms, as needed
- Removing sutures and changing dressings
- Assist physician and physician assistant in exam rooms
- Escort patients to exam rooms, interviews patients, measure vital signs, including weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and document all information in patient’s chart
- Give instructions to patients as instructed by provider.
- Ensure all related reports, labs and information is filed is available in patients’ medical records prior to their appointment
- Keep exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies, maintain instruments, prepare sterilization as required
- Take telephone messages and provide feedback and answers to patient/physician/pharmacy calls
- Prioritize and process messages from patients and front office staff to physicians and physician assistants
- Maintain all logs and required checks (i.e. refrigerator temperatures, emergency medications, expired medications, oxygen, cold sterilization fluid change, etc.)
- Pursues continuing education.
- Follows policies and procedures per West Park Hospital.
- Should be able to work well under situations of stress.
- Performs lab procedures as certified.Other Clinical Duties:
- Performs ancillary duties as required, i.e. ordering tests, running specimens to WPH, or picking up supplies as requested.
- Assists in general hygiene of the clinic and self, keeping waiting room and all working areas clean and free of clutter.
- Assists with back office functions as trained, i.e. rooming patients, taking vital signs, and performing lab procedures as certified.
- Adheres to West Park Hospital District Standards of Behavior.
- All other duties as assigned.SECONDARY FUNCTIONS:
- Attends department meetings and in-services and disaster drills.
- Stays up to date on all changes/education affecting position.
- Keeps current with CPR certification.