This position will serve as (1) the technical lead for the process safety department and (2) the primary hub of process safety knowledge and mentorship for the refinery. The Process Safety Manager will and may be designated as the lead/manager for projects and initiatives by engineering, operations, or EHS management as appropriate.
- Assisting with hazard reviews during early design phases of smaller projects, including management of change (MOCs).
- Quality Control, review, and/or acceptance of Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSR).
- Providing input into Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs) for larger projects.
- Establishing performance criteria for outside-led PHAs.
- Performing Quality Reviews of PHA reports.
- Assist in the development, implementation, and training on safe operation limits (SOL) and consequences of deviation (COD).
- Participate in development, implementation, and training on Integrity Operating Windows (IOWs).
- Participate in development, implementation, and training on other Process Safety activities, including MOC, PHA, Facility Siting Studies (FSS), and any enhancements to existing Process Safety programs.
- Participate in investigation of Process Safety Events.
- Coordinate with other departments to assure accuracy of Process Safety Information (PSI).
- Develop, review, and improve Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for Process Safety.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Functional knowledge or subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Process Hazards Analysis (PHA) e.g. Hazards and Operability study (HazOp), What-If, Checklist, other forms of hazard identification.
- Risk analysis tools e.g. Quantitative Risk Analysis (QRA), Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA).
- Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) e.g. LOPA facilitation and/or rating Safety Integrity Level (SIL) of Safety Instrumented Functions (SIF) according to ISA S84/IEC 61511.
- Process reliability e.g. best practices around Integrity Operating Windows (IOWs).
- Facility siting, dispersion modeling, consequence analysis/modelling.
- Incident investigation, root cause analysis, fault tree, event tree, failure mechanisms.
- Pressure relief device (PSV, PRV, PSE) sizing, selection, and management according to ASME Section VIII BPVC, API 520, API 521, API 2000.
- Pressure relief device maintenance and inspections according to API 510, API 576.
- Process simulation, process optimization, design of process equipment.
- Process operations and/or operations management.
- Inspection, testing, and preventative maintenance (ITPM) of rotating equipment, fixed equipment, and/or instrumentation and electrical systems.
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or closely related field, Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering preferred. 2+ years’ experience in an operating (refinery, process plant, field, etc.) environment. 5 years’ experience in petroleum refining, chemical manufacturing, nuclear, or oil & gas. Leadership and/or mentorship experience. Experience in the design, optimization, operation, and/or maintenance of process equipment. Experience with public speaking such as delivering training to a large audience and experience with process safety metrics. Professional Engineer (PE) license desired.