- Type:Full Time
Salary/Pay Rate:$23.28 to $34.93/Hour
Posted Date:06/24/2020 4:15 PM
Deadline to Apply:07/10/2020 5:00 PM
This position is responsible for performing technical duties and overseeing the coordination of utility services for the citizens and businesses of the City of Gillette.
- Ensures the City’s compliance with federal and state regulatory programs.
- Issues water and sewer permits for the City of Gillette.
- Reviews plans from engineers, developers, and home owners to ensure compliance with state and local codes and environmental regulations.
- Oversees and administers the City’s cross connection and backflow prevention program.
- Oversees and administers the City’s industrial wastewater pre-treatment program which includes grease traps, sewer interceptors and other wastewater treatment equipment.
- Manages and maintains utility design and permitting records of backflow prevention assemblies, grease traps, sewer interceptors and other wastewater treatment equipment connected to private service lines.
- Coordinates with water and wastewater managers and supervisors as part of the utility management team.
- Reviews applications for extension of utility services and develops recommendations on behalf of the Utilities Director.
- Participates in plan reviews and coordinates with the City’s Building Division, Planning Division and Engineering Division.
- Performs inspections of water and sewer service lines, backflow prevention assemblies, grease traps, sewer interceptors and other industrial pre-treatment wastewater equipment.
- Advises Utilities Director on necessary policies and procedure changes necessary to function in the best interest of the Utility Division and community.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
- Knowledge of the operation, services, and activities of wastewater collection and treatment, and of water treatment and distribution.
- Knowledge of plumbing principles and related codes.
- Knowledge of computer and job-related software programs.
- Skill in performing survey inspections, backflow testing, and chemical and biological water sample tests.
- Skill in performing calculations and analyzing test results.
- Skill in planning, organization, and decision making.
- Skill in customer service.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Utilities Director assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The Water Manager and the Wastewater Manager work closely with the Utility Services Coordinator. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include City ordinances and resolutions, local plumbing codes, state environmental regulations, City of Gillette design standards and construction specifications, and the Code of Federal Regulations. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied administrative and technical duties. The number of regulations to be followed contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to coordinate the City’s utility services activities. Successful performance helps ensure compliance with state and federal regulations and provides accurate and professional customer service.
- Contacts are typically with business owners, homeowners, contractors, plumbers, engineers, real estate agents, state and federal regulatory agents, surveyors, representative of other utility districts, and developers.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, provide services, and justify, negotiate, or settle matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending or crouching. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, or irritating chemicals. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Associates degree in water/wastewater technology OR a high school diploma or GED AND three (3) years of relevant water and/or wastewater system operations or closely related experience OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- May be required to lift and/or carry heavy, bulky supplies, materials, and/or other items weighing up to 45 pounds.
- May be exposed to dangerous machinery, potential physical harm, hazardous materials, extreme weather conditions and infectious diseases.
- May be required to work outside the traditional work schedule.
- Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the State of Wyoming for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possession of and ability to maintain a DEQ Level 2 Water Distribution License or DEQ Level 2 Wastewater Collection License.
- Possession of and ability to maintain a DEQ Level 2 Water Treatment License or a DEQ Level 3 Wastewater Treatment License.
- Possession of and ability to obtain within six months of hire a Hazard Classification Certification from the American Association of Sanitary Engineers (ASSE) as a Cross Connection Control Surveyor.
- Possession of and ability to obtain within six months of hire an ASSE or American Backflow Prevention Association (ABPA) certification as a Backflow Tester.
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete the required City of Gillette application, which is available on the City website at www.gillettewy.gov/employ or contact Human Resources at 201 E 5th St, Gillette, WY 82716.Application Deadline: Friday, July 10, 2020
Pre-Employment Drug Screening Conducted. Equal Opportunity Employer