THIS IS A PRN POSITION, OR SCHEDULED ONLY AS NEEDED
The Patient Safety Support, under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, functions to provide continuous observation of patients who have the potential for or who have demonstrated behaviors that put themselves or others at risk for harm or injury. The Patient Safety Support is responsible for maintaining a safe and clean environment and notifies the Registered Nurse of any changes in condition or behavior that could indicate potential problems for the patient or staff.
- Adheres to organizational policies and procedures.
- Complies with all hospital rules, regulations , policies, and procedures.
- Collaborates with other departments in a professional manner as needed.
- Demonstrates effective, professional communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Compliance with Sheridan Memorial Hospital’s Service Standards as defined in Kindness
- Maintains all privacy and security of all confidential and protected health information (PHI).
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of injury or harm.
- Ability to observe the patient’s behavior and activity and report to nursing staff.
- Documentation meets current standards and policies, if applicable.
Communicates appropriately and clearly to all health care team members. Reports significant events such as near misses, adverse events, patient/family complaints, and any situation that affects the safety of the patient, or staff, in a timely manner.
- Reports all unforeseen events into RL Solutions.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
- Assists in calming and/or reorienting confused or agitated patients.
- Functions as liaison between the patient/family, physicians, other healthcare providers and administration.
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized, and function well under stressful situations.
Disclaimer: The above description has been designed to indicate the general nature of work performed within this position.MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Current CPR-BLS certification required
- Preferred health care, mental health, or law enforcement experience
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI), offered by SMH, will need to be obtained within 90 days of employment
Additional Skills and requirements
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Additional languages desirable
- Basic computer knowledge
- Organizational skills
- Stays abreast of organizational policies and procedures
Sheridan Memorial Hospital is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
Specific demands not listed: Possible exposure to blood and or body fluids / infectious disease / hazardous waste requiring the use of Personal Protective Equipment. Exposure to odorous chemicals / specimens and Latex products.
Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening is required.