- Performs all administrative duties and captures business processes information necessary for the function of the PACT Team.
- Customer service is essential in this role. Performs all administrative duties assigned for the proper and timely treatment of patients and maintains appointment schedules for one or more outpatient clinics.
- He/she must assist with clinic access contingency plans by adjusting appointment times, location, or dates as well as shift patients to other healthcare providers as conflict with staffing and/or coverage occurs.
- Supports patient safety standards using the correct Veterans Affairs identification of all patients using the approved protocols of patient identifiers. The patient may also present the Veterans Identification Card (VIC) for identification.
- He/she must use each interaction with the patient to validate and update patient demographic information, either in person during check-in or over the phone, to decrease the incidence of returned mail due to incorrect addresses and inability to contact patient by phone due to incorrect number.
- As front-line contact with patients and staff, the incumbent sets the tone for perception concerning quality of healthcare services at the VA. A high degree of tact and diplomacy is required when dealing with veterans who have multiple health problems and who may be frustrated with the administrative process associated with diagnosis and treatment.
- A caring, compassionate and sensitive manner is essential when explaining procedures to veterans and their family members both in person and on the phone.
Job family (Series)
0679 Medical Support Assistance
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Experience or Education
Experience: Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; OR
Education: One year above high school (transcript is required with application); OR
Experience/Education Combination: Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.(transcript is required with application);
English Language Proficiency: MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section A, paragraph 3j.
Preferred Experience: 2 to 3 years of administrative experience - health care settings preferred; Associates degree or higher desired; Experience using FBCS, Vista, and ExcelGrade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements for employment listed above, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates:
Advanced Medical Support Assistant, GS-06 - In order to be found qualified for this position, you must possess the following;Experience. One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-05). Examples of experience at the next lower grade must include; Knowledge of medical terminology, scheduling appointments (including interpreting and verifying provider orders), canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointments and/or consults; use of Microsoft Office, entering no-show information; monitoring the electronic wait list; preparing for clinic visits; monitoring both inpatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility; ensuring encounter forms are completed in order to obtain appropriate workload credit; verifying and updating demographics and insurance information; processing all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other facilities or hospitals; performing basic eligibility, co-pays and pre-authorization requirements for specific coverage, and other related support work in a health care setting.Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. Candidates must demonstrate the KSAs below:
- Ability to collaborate, communicate, set priorities, and organize the work in order to meet deadlines, ensuring compliance with established processes, policies, and regulations
- Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, both orally and in writing, in order to meet program objectives. This may include preparing reports in various formats and presenting data to various organizational level.
- Advanced knowledge of the technical health care process as it relates to access to care.
- Advanced knowledge of managing a clinic. This includes independently utilizing reference sources, decision making, and empowering the team to collaborate and resolve problems within a complex systems environment.
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures associated with operational activities that affect the patient flow, patient care, and the revenue process.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology due to the technical nature of language utilized by clinicians.
GS-06 Advanced Medical Support Assistant assignment: The Advanced MSA works collaboratively with staff at the Medical Center, Contract Vendors, Medical Center affiliates, Community Healthcare Providers, and any Third Party Administrator(s) to coordinate Veteran PACT/SHIP/Specialty Care/Community Care and Choice activities. This coordination involves mutli-disciplinary communication and coordination as a member of a cross-functional team. The Incumbent will coordinate and is responsible for all administrative duties associated with the Choice Program and PACT/BHIP/Specialty Care/Community Care Coordination, receives consults via the electronic medical record, coordinates and receives the necessary documentations to facilitate the processing of the consult, ensures that the Veteran receives the appropriate PACT/BHIP/Specialty Care/Community Care appointment and closes out the consult when completed. Provides patients correct instructions on test preparation, diets, and procedural requirements for varying procedures and specialty services specific to each community provider's standard of care which affects the efficiency, accuracy, and acceptability of patient care procedures, processes, and services in the community .References: VA Handbook 5005/53; Part II, Appendix G45. MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated August 1, 2019. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-06.Physical Requirements: The position involves work that is mainly sedentary but requires some bending, walking, standing and lifting/carrying (under 15 LB) of supplies, patient records, staff and patient mail.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.RESUME REMINDER:Your resume (and/or curriculum vitae) must include the following information for each job listed:
- Job title
Pay Plan and Grades Held (for Federal positions)
Duties: Please be as detailed as possible. We recommend that you include information directly related to the position you are applying to. Good examples of pertinent information can be found in the Duties and Qualifications sections of the announcement. If you have performed any of those duties or have any of that experience, we are looking for that on your resume. We make no assumptions in regards to experience. It has to be on the resume under the position it was performed in at the proper grade level to count towards qualifications.
Month & year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008)
Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
- Supervisory Human Resources Specialist (Employee/Labor Relations)
- Any VA Healthcare System, Address City, State ZIP
- Full-Time (40 Hours Per Week)
- GS-12 Step 2 4/2019 - Present
- GS-12 Step 1 4/2018 - 4/2019
- Duty related to the position you are applying to
- Duty related to the position you are applying to
- Duty related to the position you are applying to
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
REQUIRED: VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/searchaction.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search.REQUIRED (IF APPLICABLE): If you are a current or prior federal employee YOU MUST provide your most current or last non award SF50. SF50 must denote current/most recently held title, series, grade, step, tenure.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Cover Letter
DD-214/ Statement of Service
Disability Letter (Schedule A)
Disability Letter (VA)
VA FORM 10-2850c
Proof of Marriage Status
Separation Notice (RIF)
SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.Please Note: Hybrid title 38 occupations follow title 5 Veterans' preference rules, as required by the Merit Systems Protection Board (Graves v. VA), 117 M.S.P.R. 697 (2012)), 38 U.S.C. § 7412 waives the requirement to apply Veterans' preference to external applicants for appointments made during the Fiscal Year to hybrid title 38 occupations reported among the occupations with the largest staffing shortages.As of 1 October 2019 until 30 September 2020 Veterans Preference as been waived for the GS-0679 Occupational Series. HRML NO. 05-19-12
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The Sheridan VA Medical Center is currently recruiting for one (1) Advanced Medical Support Assistant within the Sheridan VAMC Business Office. The Advanced Medical Support Assistant (MSA) position serves as a Clinic Clerk and is a foundational role within the VHA Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) initiative as well as the VHA Patient Centered Medical Home Model transformation initiative. Patient care is delivered in a team-based model known as the teamlet.
Work Schedule: Permanent, Full Time. Monday thru Friday, 0730 - 1600Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.