The Dayton Daily News is seeking an all-media journalist to join our fast-paced, digital-first newsroom that serves the greater Dayton area.
This journalist would be responsible for covering local lifestyles and entertainment topics including local trending news, events, food/dining, arts/entertainment and the cultural scene in the Dayton area.
We are looking for a journalist and storyteller who can break local entertainment news, identify and write about trending local lifestyle and entertainment topics and create well-researched enterprise and human interest stories that include photos and video.
This position also includes creating and maintaining search-driven and search-optimized articles and guides, photo galleries and videos. This journalist should be active on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and regularly engage with those audiences.
This reporter’s work would serve digital and print publications for Cox Ohio Publishing, including Dayton Daily News, Dayton.com, the Hamilton-Journal News and the Springfield News-Sun.
The ideal candidate is a reporter and writer with a passion for storytelling in multiple formats and thrives in a fast-paced work environment.Responsibilities include:
- Researching and writing articles that are digital first but can be adapted to appear in the printed newspaper.
- Telling stories through articles, lists, photos, videos and other alternative content presentations including maps and quizzes.
- Identifying locally trending lifestyle, dining and entertainment topics and quickly creating content about those topics.
- Optimizing digital content for mobile devices
- Writing well-researched local lifestyles and entertainment enterprise stories to appear on digital products and on Lifestyles section covers.
- Helping to plan and create content around annual people’s choice poll Best of Dayton
- Using social media as a platform to cover local events and news, promote content and engage with the audience
- Covering general news assignments and breaking news as needed as part of a team of versatile all-media journalists
- Strong written language and communication skills
- Excellent reporting, researching, interviewing, writing and storytelling skills
- Can write with urgency for digital products and provide meaning and context for print products
- Ability to handle multiple assignments and deadlines simultaneously and produce accurate work at a high volume
- Use research to tailor stories to fit the audiences for print and digital products
- Use social media to promote content, gather content ideas and engage with readers
- Be familiar and comfortable with standards for avoiding libel and slander, and have a good grasp of Ohio’s public records laws
- Ability to work in a high-energy, fast-paced environment and be committed to learning throughout their careers.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field preferred.
- At least one year of experience in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, social media or related media field
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates reporting, writing, photography, video skills as well as successful social media engagement.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record due to expectations of driving to cover news/events
Who We Are
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.