NATRONA COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Deputy Attorney I
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: AT-WILL EMPLOYEE: Exempt / Salaried EmployeeFull- Time: 40 hours a week
DEPARTMENT: LegalSUPERVISOR: County Attorney Exempt / salaried EmployeeFull- Time
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION MAY BE CHANGED WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
Reporting to the County Attorney, this position performs a variety of technical duties in support of the County’s legal department; serves as Deputy to the County Attorney in providing general legal services to the Board of County Commissioners, County Administration and for all other County Boards,Commissions, Committees, and agencies of the County.
Provides legal advice and support to County department heads and elected officials.
Serves as a legal representative and attends meetings with various County boards.
Reviews relevant case law, statutes, and regulations and identifies possible impact on the County.
Assesses legal risks and negotiates, drafts, and/or reviews legal documents such as ordinances, resolutions, contracts, bond issues, deeds, and leases that protect the County’s interests and resolve issues.
Performs all functions and duties as required by Wyoming State Statutes.
Represents the County and County officials in civil litigation in State and Federal Court
Represents the County and County officials in administrative proceedings
Reviews and responds to requests for information from the public, County employees, and County agencies and departments.
Direct the preparation of and approve pleadings, briefs, motions, orders and other legal documents for various court and administrative proceedings.
Consult with legal staff, outside agencies, and the court on Title 25 issues
Engages in settlement negotiations with respondents/case specialists/attorneys in an attempt to reach a settlement.
Performs other duties as assigned or required
Promote effective communication
Drives vehicle to perform one or more essential functions
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Principles and practices of law.
Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, or statutes.
Drafting of legal documents.
Legal research methods.
Ability to assess case information and decide upon an appropriate legal course of action.
Skills in oral and written communication performing and coordinating a variety of professional case management functions.
Time and project management
Analyzing complex information
Operation of standard office equipment, relevant computer hardware and software applications.
Interacting with the public and facilitating compliance
Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Juris Doctorate’s Degree2. Must be at least 18 years of age
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Wyoming State Bar License is required.2. Valid, unencumbered Wyoming Drivers’ License, and be insurable with Natrona County.
Office within Natrona County Legal Department. The Legal Department is approximately 6 team members with typical office furnishings and equipment; onsite visits throughout county; intermittent busy and loud environment both inside and outside; communication via phone, electronically, and in person; interaction with the public and staff.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS:
1. Approximately 80% of the time, remain in a primarily stationary position operating a computer, printer, scanner, telephone, and other office equipment.
2. Access and move files, office supplies, and equipment; move up to 25 pounds.
3. Access and move materials from storage areas to other locations which include onsite, offsite, inside and outside locations.
4. Positions in this class require: stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
5. Function in an office environment and use of equipment.
6. Work independently with little supervision and exercise initiative and sound judgment
7. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, representatives of other agencies and organizations, and members of the community.
8. Be flexible in assigned jobs or duties on a daily basis.
9. Meet deadlines; solve problems independently and/or with others to meet deadlines.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Multiple Locations