Each day at Volunteers of America, we strive to exemplify our foundational pillar of Servant Leadership and Cultural Values of Communication, Compassion, Integrity, Respect, and Excellence.
The Employment Service Coordinator works as a team member in the Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program (HVRP) helping homeless Veterans find employment through intensive case management services.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conduct assessments to determine eligibility and appropriateness of Veterans enrollment into the HVRP program
- Establish and maintain complete and accurate records of HVRP participants and their progress towards goals and objectives
- Develop a trusting and helping relationship with homeless veterans without bias regarding their history or circumstance that brought them into the program
- Help eligible Veterans connect with the available public and private service resources, and follow-up on referrals to encourage participant progress toward stabilization
- Assist Veterans with creating resumes
- Participate in in-service training and employment-related events
- Provide regular feedback on enrolled participants' progress, and make recommendations for discontinuing or extending services
- Conduct employability assessments of potential participants including aptitude, readiness for work, physical capabilities or other employment considerations
- Assist with development and maintenance of a resource base of employers committed to giving priority hiring attention to Veterans enrolled in the HVRP program
- Accurately document detailed, on-going intensive case management work with regard for the privacy and needs of each participant enrolled in the program
- Work with the Veterans Administration to determine eligibility for services and other benefits, to secure DD-214 forms and to develop relationships with other service providers
- Calm in confrontational and emergencies
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse clientele and program partners
- Able to set appropriate professional boundaries
- Effective communicator, both orally and written – assertive when necessary
- Continuous demonstration of behaviors aligned with a posture of servant leadership and our cultural values
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, photocopiers, and smartphones. This position also often works in non-traditional work settings to meet the needs of those enrolled in the program.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend, stand or stoop as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
This position requires travel as needed or assigned by the supervisor to effectively support Veterans enrolled in the program while performing outreach with Veterans and community partners in the community, and for training needs as scheduled.
Required Education, Experience or Eligibility Qualifications
- Associate's Degree with a minimum of two years of case management experience or closely related experience-Or -
- High School diploma or equivalent and a minimum of three years of case management experience or closely related field experience
- Valid driver's license
- Adept with computer programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office suite and data information management systems
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in human services, behavioral science, or related field with one year of case management experience
VOA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA).