GeoTech/Core Cutter - Niblack Mine, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska 99925
The GeoTech/Core Cutter position supports the Niblack Mine on the Prince of Wales Island for POWTEC, LLC.
This is an entry level position performing work as a geology assistant/core sawyer for an exploration mining site. This critical position is responsible for the cutting, labeling and shipping of core for off-site analysis. Position requires detail-oriented, safety minded, work on feet for extended periods of time, able to work on a computer and able to follow instructions and perform repetitive tasks. Prior mining experience a huge plus.
- The position is seasonal working 12-hour shifts, Monday-Sunday, 84 hours weekly and scheduled approximately 3-8 weeks on and typically 3 weeks off.
- The position is seasonal starting approximately in August for approximately 8 weeks with the possibility to extend further.
- Transportation to and from site is provided.
- Room and board provided on a barge at the work site during the time-on period.
- This is position requires successfully passing both a background and drug screening to qualify and will be subject to any post-accident and/or reasonable suspicion testing throughout employment.
- Must have active driver’s license.
- Must be US Citizen.
Essential Duties and Tasks:
- Assist geologists as needed (including geotechnical tasks: preparation and visual analysis of drill core and recording footages)
- Performing specific gravity testing
- Store and label the core boxes for later access
- Sawing of rock samples and preparation of sample shipments to send to analytical laboratory for assay
- Cleaning the equipment and area between samples to prevent cross contamination
- Numbering the sample bags sent to lab and ensuring the sample sequence is correct
- Enter all sample details into computer database
- Ensuring quality control throughout the sampling process
- Other duties as assigned
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- One year prior experience in mining or construction industry
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Access
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain a safe working environment
- Demonstrated ability to focus on detail; including attention to numbered sequences
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced team environment
- Detail oriented and ability to maintain focus in a busy workplace
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Driver’s License, required and insurable to operate company owned vehicles
- MSHA (Mine Safety & Health Association) underground training, preferred
- Demonstrate ability to utilize supplies, tools and equipment properly
- Able to follow instructions provided verbally and in writing
- Must be responsible, organized, self-motivated, and friendly
- Must be flexible, cooperative and willing to work in a team environment with staff
- Hazardous Materials training, preferred
- First Aid Level 1, preferred
- Must be able to pass pre-employment drug screen, and will be subject to any post-accident and/or reasonable suspicion testing throughout employment
(Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Understand speak English at a level which allows the safe and efficient performance of the job
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Duties may require the ability to discern sharp from dull and hot from cold
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds
- Employee will stand for several hours each day
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear
- Assignments require frequent repetitive motion
- Performance of duties occasionally involves exposure to hazardous materials
- Must be comfortable flying onto the island and back as this is the sole method of transportation to the job site
- Must be able to live communally where food and lodging are provided at no cost to the employee
- The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud
- Working conditions may include continuous exposure to elements such as odor, noise, dust, chemicals, temperature extremes or airborne pathogens and at greater risk of getting a minor injury such as a cut or burn while performing the duties of this position
- Work location is in a remote area with limited communication with the outside world where internet and cell phone communications are often limited
- Above ground surfaces may be icy, slippery, uneven, rocky, muddy and/or wet
- Various duties may be performed underground; underground work areas have limited lighting and wet, slippery surfaces
- The employee occasionally will be working in temperatures below 0° degrees during winter months
- Dry facility – no alcohol is permitted on the island
- No firearms are permitted on the island
POWTEC is passionate on having a diverse workforce and committed to our policy of equal employment opportunity and treating all employees and applicants equally and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, genetics, veteran or marital status, disability status, and all other groups protected by law and promotes diversity in its workforce. POWTEC takes affirmative action to implement programs and maintain practices and policies that eliminate barriers to equal employment opportunity.
POWTEC knows you have passions outside of work. You have family, friends, and extracurricular activities. That’s why we offer a comprehensive benefits package to not only take care of you but your family as well. Our benefit offerings include: health benefits, retirement plan, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, to name a few.
TO APPLY: https://powtec.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=26
Candidates provided employment offers must complete background screening, drug test screening, and professional reference check as contingency to being hired. No phone calls from recruiters. No candidate phone calls.
In compliance with the ADA Amendment Act, should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources department via phone at 360-377-8600 x209 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.