The Laboratory Technicianunder general supervision performs laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of solid, liquid, or gaseous materials for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development by performing the following duties:JOB FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs laboratory testing, following relevant company’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and methods.
- Prepares a representative subsample from client sample that meets specific requirements using defined methods (Dry, Crush, Pulverize, Pressure Filter, Mix, Riffle Split, etc.).
- Weighs and tests samples on relevant equipment.
- Weighs and digest samples for analysis using relevant equipment.
- Accurately completes and maintains all laboratory reports.
- Receives, sorts and logs client samples into the data base, and prepares samples’ labels.
- Archives, returns, or disposes of client samples as per established procedure.
- Prepares monthly composites.
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly Quality Assurance/Quality Control checks on equipment.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits and enforces a clean working environment.
- Performs general upkeep and housekeeping of the laboratory.
- Ensures all equipment and containers are organized and cleaned before and after use.
- Ensures all personal protective equipment (PPE) relevant for tasks is worn at all times.
- Ensures compliance with all required local and federal safety processes and procedures.
- May also have preparation or field responsibilities, as required by business needs.
- May assist Junior Technicians as required.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QualificationsEDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 3+ years working in Industrial Laboratory or Field Services setting
- Associate degree in or including some Science
- 5+ years working in industrial/lab/field setting with experience following strict safety standard
- A valid and current Driver’s license may be required if the role requires driving a company vehicle.
- May be required to obtain a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Card).
- May be required to obtain 24-hour surface Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) certificate, training is available through SGS.
- Language Skills: Intermediate English required, Advanced preferred
- Mathematical Skills: Basic required, Intermediate preferred
- Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate level required, uses logical and practical approach to solve problems
- Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel) – Intermediate user proficiency preferred
- Ability to effectively communicate (in writing or verbally), presenting information individually or in small group situations to internal or external customers
- Ability to follow directions ensuring the end results are accurate and completed with the required timeframe
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to work independently and under moderate supervision
- Team player attitude, customer care focus
- Variesand will require incumbent to have flexible schedule, including overnight, weekends and holidays.
- Position requires occasional overtime.
NOTE: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without prior notice to the employee.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status a s a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.