ABOUT SHERIDAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Sheridan Memorial Hospital is a progressive, state-of-the-art facility nestled beneath the Big Horn Mountains in beautiful Northeast Wyoming. Founded over 100 years ago, Sheridan Memorial is licensed for 88 beds with over 60 physicians who provide primary medical care and specialty care in more than 15 areas. We are proud of our more than 700 employees who provide personalized, patient-centered care in a healing environment. When people think of excellent healthcare, they think of Sheridan.
The histotechnologist will be required to have a close working relationship with the pathologists. Receives and accurately processes surgical or diagnostic tissue specimens from various hospital departments and physician offices. Accurately prepares histologic slides from tissue sections for microscopic examination and diagnosis by Pathologist. Identifies, prepares, cuts, stains and preserves specimens in such a manner as assist the Pathologist to render a reliable diagnosis. Maintains Pathology laboratory equipment and supplies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Grossing biopsies and possibly other simple specimens.
- Processing specimens utilizing an overnight schedule.
- Embedding processed tissues in paraffin.
- Cutting, staining, and cover slipping routine H&E slides.
- Special stains.
- Immunohistochemistry (IHC).
- Frozen Sections.
- Filing blocks and slides.
- Shipping specimens for flow cytometry.
- Processing, staining, and cover slipping ThinPrep paps.
- Maintaining a clean, safe, and organized laboratory.
- Maintaining laboratory equipment.
- Changing and rotating reagents.
- Tracking required preventative maintenance by outside organizations.
- Disposing of waste tissue and chemicals.
- Operations and Regulatory
- Accessioning specimens into Cerner LIS from electronic orders or paper requisitions.
- Labeling blocks and slides.
- Troubleshooting and documenting issues with specimens and equipment.
- Maintaining good working relationships within the hospital and with outside clients.
- Documenting daily workload, temperatures, quality control, and required duties.
- Preparing quality assurance statistics.
- Stocking supplies and conducting weekly inventory.
- Maintaining the laboratory and Histology Procedure Manual as inspection ready by CAP standards.
- Instructing new employees and students in histologic techniques.
- Participating in the Credential Maintenance Program through ASCP.
- Observing laboratory and hospital policies, procedures, and safety practices.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Education / Experience / License and Certifications
- Histologic Technician training at a certified training program/healthcare college.One year related experience in a histopathology laboratory under the supervision of a pathologist. Experience preferred but not required.
- Current Histologic Technician registration, (ASCP) or ASCP eligible.
Sheridan Memorial Hospital is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
Specific demands not listed: Possible exposure to blood and or body fluids / infectious disease / hazardous waste requiring the use of Personal Protective Equipment. Exposure to odorous chemicals / specimens and Latex products.
Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening is required.