Our Wheat Ridge, CO laboratory is looking for a General Manager to join their team. The General Manager is accountable for the overall performance of the regional EHS laboratory. It is their responsibility to ensure clients’ expectations are met by providing high-quality sample analyses delivered in a timeline that exceeds industry standards. This position will provide technical solutions to meet the needs of our clients while achieving or exceeding data quality, turnaround time, sales and profitability objectives. The General Manager reports into the Vice President of Operations, Environmental, Health & Safety, North America.
The General Manager:
- Profitably manages the SGS Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) business in line with budget targets and Group objectives focusing on analysis quality and client service.
- Prepares capital and operating budgets. Monitors performance according to divisional operation budgets and takes corrective action, when required.
- Works with technical staff to resolve client service and technical issues.
- Maintains strong client relationships and delivers new opportunities by regularly visiting key customers.
- Delivers a sustainable business result that meets or exceeds safety targets, financial targets and our objectives in relation to the development and retention of people.
- Motivates and holds our employees accountable against specific performance objectives.
- Performs regular in department visits as well as desk top reviews of operations.
- Works in conjunction with the functional support groups to ensure a proactive and planned approach to budgets, human resource planning and the use of analytical instrumentation and information technology.
- Builds a skills matrix and provides development and career opportunities for staff and field employees.
- Delivers margin execution solution for operations, and a quality standard that always meets customer expectations.
- Ensures we have evidence that verifies we are meeting industry and customer expected standards.
- Manages people and performance daily, acting quickly and decisively.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Degree in chemistry preferred; will consider degree in business OR technical degree in other scientific fields, or related degree and commensurate experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge and understanding of financial statements and operating budgets required
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills are a requirement of this position
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Ability to work under pressure and priorities effectively
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to make evaluative judgments.
- Ability to assist in budget preparation.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to investigate, analyze and solve problems and draw conclusions.
- Travels up to 10% of time. Some travel might be international.
- Some travel may be necessary on an infrequent, as required basis
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones.
- Knowledge of common laboratory instrumentation would be considered as asset
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule
- Longer hours, evenings and/or weekend work will be necessary occasionally/frequently as job duties demand
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.