Each day at Volunteers of America, we strive to exemplify our foundational pillar of Servant Leadership and Cultural Values of Communication, Compassion, Integrity, Respect, and Excellence.
This is an overnight awake position
The Youth Mentor position is responsible for the safety and well being of youth ranging in age from 10 years to 17 years. Youth Mentors act as role models, mentors and advocates to young people brought to the Crisis Shelter/Group Home who potentially is facing a wide range of challenges, such as behavioral and legal issues, substance abuse and dysfunction in the home.
Provide youth with a structured, positive environment
- Coach/Mentor youth on demonstration of positive and appropriate behaviors by the behavior management system
- Ensure the overall health, safety, and security of assigned youth; ensure all fire and safety measures are observed
- Monitor the movement inside and outside facility, contacts, events, and behaviors associated with youth
- Act as a liaison between Milestones and other supporting organizations
- Ensure group home cleanliness and upkeep
- Perform partial intake process on all new arrivals
- Regularly tour and observe the facility and grounds to ensure a high level of security
- Monitor visitor activities
- Prepare meals for youth
- Transport youth to school, appointments, etc. using a company vehicle
- Effective communicator both oral and written
- Solutions-based problem solver
- Calm under crisis
- Organized and adept with case management
- Able to manage behaviors, including the ability to be assertive when needed
- Continuous demonstration of behaviors aligned with our Cultural Values
Required Education, Experience or Eligibility Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of one-year experience working in a residential setting or youth services related field.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Two or more years of work experience in advocacy, youth or mentoring position
- Associates in Criminal Justice or other Social Services related field.
VOA in an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA).