The Senior Manager, Communications provides leadership and implementation of technical assistance (TA) activities for NASTAD’s Capacity Building Assistance (CBA) project. The position contributes to community engagement TA for 24 county health departments and six state health departments in the southern United States and is specifically related to Ending the HIV Epidemic (EHE) plans.
The position works closely with the Senior Manager, Prevention to cultivate, frame and translate personal stories of diverse communities in the South, including racial minorities; women; people living with HIV; people who use drugs; people who identify as transgender; people who identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual; and people who are unstably housed. The Senior Manager, Communications will work with graphic designers and videographers to develop infographics and short videos, and to implement a broader communications strategy that supports the overall project. The position will also contribute expertise to NASTAD’s overall Communications team.
This position does not supervise staff.
- Develop and implement technical assistance related to community engagement for EHE Phase I county and state jurisdictions in the South;
- Attend project team meetings and lead communication components;
- Develop infographics and videos that highlight personal stories of community stakeholders in the South;
- Lead strategic discussions about the alignment of NASTAD’s CBA and EHE-related technical assistance activities with innovative communications strategies;
- Lead management of social media and web-based strategies for overall project;
- Draft content for NASTAD’s website and project resources;
- Liaise with consultants, graphic designers, and videographers to develop and edit products;
- Contribute expertise to NASTAD’s overall Communications team;
- Maintain strong working relationships with key external partners;
- Contribute to project reporting and documentation;
- Attend and represent NASTAD at conferences and participate in relevant external meetings;
- Participate in staff meetings, team meetings, and trainings, as appropriate;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Thoroughness: Ensuring that one's own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled
- Fostering Teamwork:As a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn and work together
- Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions
- A track record of creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent writing and proof-reading skills
- Mastery of traditional and non-traditional media, including social media
- Experience with storytelling, message framing, and public health communication strategies
- Experience developing short videos, infographics, blog content, and public statements
- Experience developing communication strategies for dynamic projects
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Prior experience or interest in public health, HIV, or a related field is preferred
Minimum Qualifications Experience/Education
- Bachelor degree or equivalent (4 years work experience equivalent to a Bachelor degree), and a minimum of 5 years relevant work experience
- Prior experience working in communications or public relations field
Additional InformationEnvironment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with an HIV/AIDS and viral hepatitis public health organization.
- Interest in working within a diverse work environment.
- Willingness to travel (approximately 10%)
- Due to the temporary nature of this role we are open to remote candidates
We encourage people of diverse ages, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, disabilities, religions, races, ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, work, and life experiences to apply. We recognize that to accelerate the end of the HIV and hepatitis epidemics; our workforce must be representative of groups that have been disproportionately impacted.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.