Looking to help at-risk animals in a new and challenging way? Come join a leader in animal welfare! The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is seeking a part-time or full-time Veterinarian to join our Spay/Neuter Clinic team in West Allis, WI who, like us, is moved by serving underserved people and their pets. This person would share our commitment to making high-quality spay/neuter services affordable and accessible to all pet owners and would also offer support to the shelter animals in our care. This is primarily a Monday-Friday position.
You may be our ideal candidate if you enjoy a fast-pace, thinking on your feet, and being part of a strong team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing high-volume, high-quality, safe spay/neuter surgeries for shelter & public animals
- Perform other surgeries as needed for shelter animals
- Ensuring safe, effective and efficient medical processes from check in to discharge (including follow up)
- Vaccinating animals and providing quality medical screenings
- Monitoring the daily health of client and shelter animals
- Providing medical information to clients and answer questions as needed
- Develop & implementing treatment plans as needed for animals in shelter & foster
- Providing direction to medical support staff
-All other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements:
- DVM degree and license required, high volume spay/neuter experience or shelter medicine experience preferred
- Candidates must be positive, flexible, and work well with coworkers and the public
- Experience working in fast paced, high volume setting is preferred
- Candidates must be committed to treating animals and people with kindness and respect
Full-time staff are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package including up to 2 weeks Vacation, 1 week Paid Time Off (PTO), and 6 paid Holidays within their first year. Paid time-off will be prorated based on the full-time hire date and is available after 45 days of consecutive employment. On the first of the month following 60 days of consecutive employment, full-time staff are eligible for these additional benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Group Term Life Insurance and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Aflac Supplemental Benefits
- Limited wellness care veterinary services for companion animals
All staff are eligible for the following benefits package on their hire date:
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 30% off discount on animal adoption fees
- 10% off merchandise discount in our Animal Antics Store
- Limited retail (i.e. apparel, pet food, special order merchandise), service fee, event, and education program discounts
Available on the first of the month following 60 days of consecutive employment after the hire date.
To apply, please visit www.wihumane.org/employment to complete and submit an online employment application. Only applications submitted through our online application system may be considered. Please know that it is our policy to reply to every application received once we have a status update.
Come see why over 200 staff call one of WHS's 6 locations home! You'll be happy you did!
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is the oldest and largest shelter in Wisconsin. It was founded in 1879 and operates shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Door, and Brown Counties, as well as a Spay/Neuter Clinic in West Allis. The organization offers adoption services, educational programming, and veterinary resources for animals from low-income households, retail stores, volunteer programs and dog training classes. The Milwaukee shelter also houses the states busiest Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. WHS is an independent nonprofit and receives no general government funding and is not part of any national umbrella group.