Description and Functions
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking a seasonal Pheasant Distribution Driver located in Sheridan, WY. The position performs and assists with pheasant loading, sorting, and stocking during pheasant release seasons. This position requires the use of 4 wheel drive trucks and trailers. Will assist bird farm personnel in handloading trucks and assuring pheasants are moved into loading and handling facilities safely. Assist with general care and maintenance of farm facilities and pheasant flock.Human Resource Contact: Laura Curtis 307-777-4507
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Move, sort, and load distribution vehicles with ringneck pheasants.
- Load truck and trailer with pheasants for scheduled releases at Sand Mesa and Ocean Lake WHMA's.
- Familiarize yourself with a stocking schedule and stocking locations.
- Must follow detailed stocking schedules and stock into specific locations statewide as necessary.
- Coordinates with regional and statewide personnel to safely and efficiently transport pheasants into stocking areas with varied stocking parameters.
- Maintains assigned vehicle, ATV, snowmobile, trailer, and other equipment.
- Documents and reports daily activities.
- Feeding and checking pheasants and flight pen perimeter and overall safety of pheasants daily.
- Remove snow from flight pens and buildings during and after storms.
- Assists with other farm tasks as time allows
Preference may be given to those with prior experience stocking game birds and experience with winter driving using truck and trailer. Including 5+ years of job-related driving experience.
Agency requires that the successful applicant have a valid driver's licenseKNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledge of principles, theories, and practices of wildlife and biological sciences.
- Knowledge of how to identify various wildlife, domestic animals, and/or plant species.
- Knowledge of animal husbandry and farm maintenance requirements.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of aquatic & terrestrial wildlife management and habitat requirements.
- Knowledge of the principles of wildlife conservation and management, data collection, habitat requirements, and life histories of various wildlife species.
- Knowledge of data analysis and interpretation.
- Knowledge of game birds.
- Strong interpersonal verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate between multiple work units and personnel.
- Ability to analyze information and make appropriate decisions.
- Ability to coordinate and work with federal, state, and local agencies on wildlife management issues.
- Ability to work without direct supervision, work alone, and/or as a team.
- Ability to work with other people/agencies/groups, which may have conflicting interests.
- Ability to drive 4x4 vehicles while pulling a trailer in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to make and defend recommendations/decisions in spite of imperfect data.
- Ability to successfully negotiate positive outcomes for wildlife, and make decisions under varied conditions.
- Computer skills and ability to learn new software packages, including knowledge of Google, Microsoft, and online database programs.
- Knowledge of general outdoor skills and survival, especially in winter conditions.
- Knowledge of transporting live animals in varied weather conditions
None - See "Preferences"
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Must be in good physical condition.
- The position requires lifting of heavy objects and may include strenuous physical exertion at times.
- Be able to work in various weather conditions, including extreme cold and snow, and environments.
- Must be able to work all days of the week and varied work hours, including weekends and early mornings, evenings/late nights.
- Must be able to safely operate motorized equipment including 4x4 pickup trucks, ATVs, and snowmobiles.
- FLSA: Non-exempt
- Dates of employment are approximately November 1, 2020 to January 15, 2021.
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to appointment.
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Wildlife Division
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.