AI Research Labs - Director, AI Engineering (Remote)
Job Description The AI Research Labs is research-based, user-obsessed, and technology enabled so that we can create meaningful learning solutions to serve users in K-12, Higher Education, the Workforce, and the Language Learning ecosystem. The Mission of the Labs is to advance educational and employment opportunity by providing tools and services that help individuals worldwide identify, efficiently progress toward, and meet their learning and career goals. We seek to lead the EdTech field in the delivery of efficacious learning tools that are built with users, backed by science, and offer efficiency, flexibility, and insights that support meaningful decision-making along education and workforce journeys. We execute on the values of equity, opportunity, quality, and agility. We practice these values by building self-organizing teams of diverse perspectives, co-designing meaningful solutions with educators, learners, parents, employers, and jobseekers worldwide, regularly measuring impact, and continually improving. ETS's?AI?Research Labs? is seeking a highly qualified candidate to serve as?the?Director of? AI Engineering .? Th is ?innovative?and? visionary ?individual will work with leaders of Engineering, Research, Learning Science, Product Management and User Experience groups to drive cross-functional strategy in the Labs. The Director of AI Engineering will oversee a team of AI and ML Engineers driving personalization and adaptivity, behavioral AI capabilities, and MLOps . The Director provides strategic leadership, guidance and subject matter expertise and acts as a main point of contact, communicating effectively with senior management, clients and across ETS to act as a strong advocate and steward for the division and function . The director role calls for an innovative manager with a clear vision who is willing to take risks, delegate efficiently and negotiate effectively to obtain results. The Director has a broad effect across ETS from an organizational perspective and leverages the role through positive, productive interactions across various levels and partners both cross-functionally and internally in a highly outsourced environment. The Director strategically develops and oversees staf f , providing innovative direction, timely coaching, planning and project objectives to the team. As a core member of the Labs Extended ? L eadership team, the?Director of AI Engineering will be responsible for?setting?a clear and?effective?strategy and vision , developing and implementing best practices across projects, promoting user-focused, agile-friendly methods of capability development , and manag ing ?a highly talented?group?of engineers . Responsibilities:
- Develop a vision and strategy to build and deploy AI /ML to impact products and bring value to our users.
- Leverage AI to bring personalization, efficiency and scale to products.
- Design and develop scalable solutions using AI tools and ML models
- Understand strategic and learning/assessment objectives and integrate, test, tune, and optimize AI solutions to achieve them
- Explore and guide teams on the selection and implementation of new AI practices
- Support AI Engineersin their capability development and introduce new methodologies and technologies where appropriate.?
- Act as a thought leader internal and external to ETS sharing new ideas through various communication outlets including formal and informal publications, conference presentations, and other speaking engagements; maintain active engagement with and leadership in relevant professional organizations.?
- Establish and maintain close collaborative relationships with recognized leaders in the field of?AI Engineering,?personalized learning and assessment, and educational technology.?
- Develop engineers in various stages of their careers. Guide their work priorities and assignments; provide counsel and career advice; provide opportunities for?the?staff?to?grow and develop and?to?take appropriate initiative; provide constructive?feedback to?staff.?
- Establish and contribute to the definition of best practices around design, coding, automated unit, regression testing, deployment of AI/ML models to production, and responsible use of AI
- Lead initiatives and clearly communicate findings and capability recommendations to senior leadership
- At least?six?years of experience leading AI engineering in the area of?personaliz ation and adaptivity in educational technology .? Demonstrated experience?managing? and setting vision for the team .?
- E xperience with Python-based AI/ML frameworks, Java, and R; experience with ML frameworks (like Keras or PyTorch ) and libraries (like scikit-learn); knowledge and practical application of advanced statistical analysis and mathematical modeling concepts and principles.
- E xcellent communication skills.
- Strong evidence reg arding strategic thinking and problem solving?
- Strong administrative skills, including the ability to prioritize needs and resources?
- Handle multiple tasks, and establish and meet deadlines?