Description and FunctionsOpen Until Filled
The Executive Director will lead, manage, direct, and supervise the State Construction Department, consisting of the School Facilities Division and the Construction Management Division. The Director will provide oversight for major maintenance, construction, remodel, and reconstruction of the State of Wyoming building assets, community college buildings, and k-12 public education buildings for the 48 school districts and consult with the University of Wyoming on its building assets. The Director will ensure projects meet state statutes and policies and will carry out the directives given by the State Building Commission, School Facilities Commission, Select Committee on School Facilities, and various legislative committees.Human Resource Contact: Hilary Wasserburger, 307-777-6404 email@example.comESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to the State Construction Department staff to update and establish new department policies, budget, and implement statutory requirements.
- Work closely with the Governor and other legislative representatives to implement political directives and assist the formulation of state statutes as they relate to state construction and maintenance.
- Serve as the Administrator for the State Building Commission. Responsible for setting up meetings, gathering and providing all necessary documentation and presenting all matters to the board members - the five elected officials - and ensure that they have all information necessary to make informed decisions.
- Provide regulatory oversight and funding of all major maintenance, renovation, and new construction of state buildings, community colleges, and k-12 educational facilities throughout Wyoming.
- Prepare and provide written and oral presentations to the Commission and Legislative Committees regarding future and current design and construction projects.
- Assist in developing budget and funding recommendations for state building projects; administer major maintenance payments in cooperation with the School Facilities Commission, State Building Commission, and other legislative committees.
- Represent the Governor in the review and approval of all construction bid waivers and post notification of bid waivers through the department website.
- Represent the State of Wyoming and the State Construction Department at public events such as building groundbreakings and ribbon cuttings. Attend school administration meetings and Wyoming Contractors and Wyoming Construction Coalition meetings
- Give press interviews and speak at public events.
Preference may be given to candidates who have graduated from an accredited four-year college or university in construction management, architecture, engineering, business or closely related field.
Preference may be given to candidates who have five years of work experience in construction management, architecture, engineering, business or closely related field.KNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledge of construction and/or design.
- Understanding of construction industry, terms, contracts, government, procurement processes, and delivery methods.
- Knowledge of the process of state government, including legislation and administrative process, and the guiding principles and concepts underlying these processes.
- Skill in policy making, decision making, and direction of work activities.
- Skill in the origination, planning, and public speaking and experience in developing and monitoring positive relations with affected industries and their representatives.
- Ability to recognize an issue, recover all of the facts, and help the team make the best decision to move forward.
None - See "Preferences"
Necessary Special Requirements
- FLSA: Exempt
- This is an AT-WILL position which serves at the pleasure of the Governor.
- Wyoming Statute 9-2-3003 provides as follows:
- (a) The governor shall appoint a director of the department with the advice and consent of the senate.
- (b) With the approval of the governor, the director may appoint administrators for each of the divisions. The governor may remove the director and division administrators as provided in W.S. 9-1-202.
027-Wyoming State Construction
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.