The University of Auckland Finance team is responsible for facilitating and supporting informed financial decision-making through delivery of timely and accurate information, and the provision of insight resulting in a sustainable and viable University. This requires Finance to collaborate with non-finance colleagues to achieve the targets set by University Council and external stakeholders.Te Whiwhingamahi | The opportunity
As CFO you will provide financial and strategic leadership across the entire organisation, aligning business and finance strategy to support the development and delivery of the University’s long-term strategic objectives.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the University-wide finance function (c.150 FTE staff) through a well-qualified, highly experienced and professional team of direct reports responsible for portfolios that include operations and shared transaction centre, planning and analysis, business services, risk management and strategic procurement.
- Engage and contribute at the highest levels of the University providing financial advice to the Vice-Chancellor and University Executive Committee and being an active participant in the Academic and Professional Services Leadership teams.
- Represent management at core University governance committees: Council, Finance, Capital Expenditure and Audit & Risk Committees.
- Develop financial policy and strategy.
- Protect the University’s financial assets, ensuring compliance with financial regulations and GAAP.
- Provide oversight to the University’s risk management framework, insurance arrangements, incident and resilience management and suite of robust business continuity plans.
- Champion ongoing function development through great communications, capability, continuous improvement and training strategies.
Success will be enabled by your track record of sound financial leadership in large, complex organisations. Experience gained in public and private sector entities of scale will be advantageous; experience in a tertiary environment is not essential. More important is the demonstration of a leadership approach and management skills that will inspire confidence and ensure success while continually developing this high performing unit. Your proactive, action oriented, mature and professional approach will enhance your ability to influence and build credibility with governance, colleagues, stakeholders and the professional community.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an individual seeking to continue their leadership career and make a tangible difference to our challenging and rewarding environment at the University of Auckland.Ngāāhuatangakeiamātou| What we offer
The University of Auckland offers an environment and position in the New Zealand market that is both diverse and unique. The main University campus is located in the CBD of Auckland, a dynamic, multi-cultural and rapidly growing city and the commercial heart of New Zealand. We are fortunate to have an abundance of natural features including stunning harbour, accessible coastline, native bush and moderate temperatures, which help us to retain our ranking as one of the best cities in the world in which to live (Mercer ranking).
This is a rare opportunity to contribute to the future success of the University and Aotearoa New Zealand.Mepēheatetukutono| How to apply
For further information and a confidential discussion, please contact the University of Auckland:
- Clare Litten, +64 274 989 135, email: [emailprotected]
- Joshua Chapman, +64 275 986 420, Email: [emailprotected]
- Tertiary Qualification in Finance (Preferably at postgraduate level)
- Membership of the Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand (CAANZ) or CPA or equivalent.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Māori, Pacific, women, LGBTQITakatāpui+, people with disabilities, parenting support, flexible work and other equity issues go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz