TheSBA Portfolio Manager will oversee a team of SBA Underwriters and Processors to both meet the SBA production goals of STCU and monitor and manage the credit risk of the portfolio. The SBA Portfolio Manager will also work with production teams to educate and drive team performance, ensuring exceptional business member service and team goals are achieved. The position is responsible for consistently underwriting safe and sound loans that follow the SBA’s underwriting standards, NAGGL and all applicable state and federal laws, rules and regulations.Principal AccountabilitiesPortfolio Management and Administration
- Serve as the subject matter expert for SBA lending within STCU and act as a resource for banking officers with respect to SBA loans. Develop and execute business plans aligned with management objectives.
- Ensure the department’s efforts meet all SBA eligibility, regulations and underwriting guidelines and review and oversee loan quality and processes in preserving SBA guarantees.
- Monitor and manage the quality and performance of the SBA portfolio in accordance with SBA SOP, STCU loan policy and standards, and government regulation.
- Work proactively and collaboratively with multiple stakeholders including banking officers, underwriters, processors and the Commercial Credit Administrator to complete the underwriting of the loan application to include meeting all SBA eligibility, the analysis of the applicant’s financial status, credit and property evaluation to determine if the loan requests meet the STCU’s and the SBA’s lending criteria.
- Analyze complex credit opportunities and exercise independent judgment in structuring, underwriting and risk rating credits, effectively balancing risk and relationship.
- Ensure the assigned portfolio is in compliance with all applicable standards, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain currency with SBA SOP requirements, procedures, and changes.
- Ensure proper reporting of SBA transactions to Colson and SBA.
- Responsible for the appropriate unilateral loan servicing items and attaining the appropriate SBA approval on other servicing or modification actions.
- Develop expertise in the use of Bank software and systems.
- Assemble, collect and verify accuracy of documentation needed for booking sound and safe loans meeting SBA requirements.
- Lead SBA product development and ongoing training of staff.
- Reinforce the application of superior member service through his or her own example along with appropriate follow through with members and employees.
- Review and correct potential problems during the loan approval process, such as issues related to credit history, nonconforming appraisals, policy exceptions, etc.
- Develop and maintain an advanced knowledge of financial industry, economy, market conditions, rates, vendors and competition; remain informed of trends and developments in local market and changes to regulations governing private and government issued mortgages; assimilate new government regulations and apply this knowledge to improve and maintain quality and consistent underwriting.
- Respond to inquiries or refers inquiries to the appropriate department or person and exhibits the necessary follow through with members and/or staff involved.
- Consistently apply superior decision-making techniques pertaining to inquiries, approvals and requests as they apply to existing policies and procedures, keeping within assigned approval limits and using these instances as learning tools for employee development.
- Coach and lead others on technical and relational aspects of the Underwriting role; provides individual performance evaluations.
- Assume responsibility for special projects; gathers data and prepares reports for Credit Administration, audits and other personnel.
- Processes, solves and answers complex member transactions, problems or inquiries.
- Collaborate with Commercial and Business Services team managers to develop procedural changes and process improvements that assist in the achievement of the goals of the department and the organization.
- Build constructive and effective internal/external relationships at all levels, including but not limited to, the Commercial and Business Services leadership team. Advise and collaborate with others to develop a strong team.
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative partnerships with key departments for the mutual benefit of all.
- Contribute to the STCU's favorable image by being involved in the business community and carrying out loan activities in a manner promoting goodwill.
- Manage the performance, training requirements, and professional development of employees, including planning, needs assessments, design and development and evaluation of leadership skills.
- Provide effective leadership, mentoring and coaching to team members in order to assist them in reaching their career goals, increase their competency and promote team depth and unity.
- Communicate department direction and enable team members to perform at the highest standards.
- Effectively supervise the department/staff to include delegation of work assignments, coaching and feedback, rewards and recognition, and effective communication to include timely resolution of more complex departmental issues, conflicts and/or concerns.
- Recommend and make changes in staffing levels, basic structure and/or organization of the department to ensure effective completion of objectives.
- Requisition new positions as needed and coordinate and participate in the interviewing, hiring and training of team as necessary.
QualificationsKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field required.
- Minimum of seven years of SBA/government loan underwriting, analysis or portfolio management experience.
- Minimum of five years of prior management, leadership, or coaching experience, with a focus on process-oriented roles.
- Advanced level of work experience, knowledge and training in all SBA loan servicing activities.
- Advanced knowledge of related state and federal banking compliance regulations, and other bank lending policies.
- Strong understanding of STCU policies and procedures as well as SBA standards and SOP’s.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while performing duties.
- Advanced knowledge of SBA's SOP requirements and regulations. Ability and knowledge to work on the most complex loan files.
- Extensive credit and analytical skills and knowledge of products and services.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills including the ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence, professionally and tactfully communicate with members and employees, and present information clearly and effectively.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks under tight time constraints.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to deal with difficult problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations. Ability to identify and voice issues and offer proactive solutions.
- Ability to offer concise analysis of relationships, identifying key risks.
- Strong influencing skills with demonstrated skills in innovative thinking.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams.
Please review our website for more information atwww.stcu.org/careers.