At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel interfaces and hardware subsystems for virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. We are looking for a skilled and motivated Optical Engineer to join our Optical Product Development team in FRL. In this role, you will work with a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers to design, simulate, implement and debug the imaging optics for advanced machine vision systems. You will work cross functionally to develop specifications and test methods, perform performance evaluation for the imaging optics and work closely with manufacturing partners for prototyping and mass production.
- As the technical lead of a team of cross-functional engineers, you will drive design, development and implementation of imaging optics, and change the landscape of capabilities of AR/VR hardwares.
- Work closely with external hardware industry partners to identify, define, develop, test, and deploy state-of-the-art optics for imaging systems.
- Work closely with internal camera and sensor, electrical engineering, and product design teams to develop imaging optics specifications, perform in-depth performance analysis and debug component and system level issues.
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel required.
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related technical discipline with 5+ years of experience: or advanced degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline with 3+ years of experience or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience and knowledge on imaging optics.
- Proficiency in both sequential and non-sequential optical design software is required (e.g. Zemax, Code V, LightTool, FRED and/or ASAP).
- Expertise in image quality evaluation or imaging sensor operation and characterization or stray light modeling and analysis or camera module or lens testing and characterization or imaging and illumination optics design and manufacturing or fundamental knowledge of opto-mechanical engineering and injection molding or working knowledge of thin film physics and fabrication.
- Experience of theoretical analysis using MATLAB, Python or similar programs.
- Experience in statistical analysis using JMP and MATLAB.
- Interpersonal skills to work across teams.
- Experience working with uncertainty and leading the cross-functional teams to manage the risk portfolio at different stages of product development.
- Communication skills.
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Experience in the consumer electronics industry is preferred.