As a System Engineer at Facebook Reality Labs, you will be responsible for productizing a sensor subsystem that is core to delivering transformative experiences in Oculus AR/VR products. You will join an agile team that is laser-focused on incubating winning prototypes, establishing new process capabilities with supply-chain partners, and releasing product sub-systems that are fully hardened for high-volume manufacturing (HVM). We want someone who can lead a cross-functional team that comprises a wide range of disciplines, who works through others and goes between brainstorming big ideas and paying relentless attention to critical performance, yield, and integration milestones. Based on a robust engineering background, candidates should have earned their track record of bringing multiple products from concept into HVM.
- Design & development of sensor technologies that integrate into the Oculus AR/VR product roadmap.
- Define sub-system requirements with the product team, then deliver AR/VR hardware, software, and calibration that meets specifications. This includes: hardware (optics, electronics, mechanics, silicon, sensor, data-communication), software (computer vision algorithms, calibration, modeling, analysis), and performance analysis.
- Deliver prototypes and Plan of Record systems.
- Support the TPM in evaluation, validation, and delivery to specs by metrology, user studies, safety studies, FEMA analysis, environmental analysis, and dogfooding.
- Collaborate closely with other AR/VR subcomponents and systems and ensure successful integration.
- Establish processes and quality testing necessary for delivery of robust/reliable software.
- Engage with all internal stake-holders and users across multiple research and engineering teams.
- Define testing and qualification plans at different stages of hardware development, from concept to product ramp.
- Identify external partnerships and work with the TPM and corresponding engineer to manage the partnership.
- Identify key hardware and software risks and work with the team to develop and implement contingencies.
- Document information necessary for manufacturing, calibration, testing, and integration.
- Able to lead ambiguous programs to completion with little oversight or clear definition.
- BS or MS in Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Experience designing consumer products, at least 1 full product life cycle concept to launch.
- 5+ years cross-functional system experience, working through others.
- Product development experience.
- Development and execution experience in building process on a manufacturing scale.
- Experience with multiple full life cycle product launches.
- Experience with 3D tracking methods, algorithms, devices and systems.
- Experience with design/manufacturing of small form-factor sensing or imaging systems.
- Process development experience for optical parts, sensors, computer vision, software and hardware integration.
- Experience developing manufacturing process(es) for coatings, molding, replication, diamond-turning.
- Rapid prototyping experience (i.e. 3D printing, laser cutting, etc.).
- Experience in opto-mechanical integration and system design.