Facebook designs, builds and operates one of the largest globally-distributed CDNs in the world. As an Optimization Engineer for Facebook's Edge Network, you will have a unique opportunity to use your broad engineering skills to partner with product engineering teams to improve user experience for billions of people across Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger, Oculus, and many more products. You will build scalable systems that provide critical product performance insights, simulate end-to-end impact of massive scale events, and drive caching architecture decisions.
- Work cross-functionally with highly technical software engineering and network engineering teams.
- Build systems and tools, develop capacity planning frameworks, and root-cause the hardest problems on some of the largest and most complex systems in the world.
- Build stochastic models to characterize demand at every layer of the CDN and write software to generate capacity plans optimized for reliability, performance, and cost constraints.
- Leverage machine learning and related techniques to deliver solutions for large network infrastructure problems.
- Build and maintain complex optimization models.
- Leverage data you produce to improve platform architecture and design.
- BS/BA degree in an analytical field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Physics, or Management Science).
- 2+ years of coding experience in at least one programming language (e.g. PHP, Python, C, or Java), and rapidly learning new development languages.
- Knowledge of network infrastructure and/or routing.
- Experience with data logging and processing at scale.
- Experience with analysis of network and performance metrics.
- Hands-on experience with large quantities of data.
- Experience partnering with highly technical engineering teams to solve open ended issues.
- Graduate work experience.