The Data Center Systems Thermal Engineer works at the confluence of Facebook's compute, storage and networking hardware and our data center electrical, mechanical and network infrastructure. This position is in the Data Center System Engineering team and will collaborate with the Facebook teams designing and operating our data centers and hardware. The Engineer will view these elements as a large-scale system and will solve system-level issues as they arise. More importantly, they will prevent them from occurring by influencing the design of the constituent elements. The ideal candidate has significant experience developing enterprise or cloud-scale hardware and will use this experience to understand how those products interact with each other and the surrounding infrastructure. This is a full-time position.
- Participate in critical thermal design reviews for data center and hardware systems.
- Define the system level specification that guides the hardware system design and data center design to operate efficiently.
- Use data gathered from large scale fleet to analyze the thermal performance and provide guidance to increase overall efficiency.
- Perform system level of thermal simulation and validation for critical areas in the data center.
- Perform measurements at chassis, rack and building level to characterize performance and trouble shoot issues seen, as necessary.
- Collaborate with data center Site Operations and Facilities Operations teams, and Hardware Design and Release-to Production teams to understand issues affecting operational scalability of Facebook data centers and POPs.
- Work with internal groups and external consultants to perform complex, system-level troubleshooting, as needed.
- Highlight opportunities for significant engineering improvements and lead high impact, measurable, cross-functional initiatives.
- 10% domestic/international travel may be necessary to support field thermal measurement and validation.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years of experience or equivalent developing products with thermal design ownership on rack-able networking or data center applications.
- Designed/Experience with air-cooled and liquid-cooled systems and their deployment at scale. Experience performing CFD and flow modeling at the data center level, especially for high power equipment.
- Experience with reduced order modeling approaches and optimization techniques.
- Experience with flow and thermal measurement techniques using automation.
- Collaboration experience and influencing skills to work on multi-discipline problems.
- Advanced Engineering or Physics degree.
- Experience with advance cooling techniques such as liquid cooling.
- Experience using FloTherm or Data Center CFD such as 6Sigma.
- Experience with large-scale cloud environments in compute, storage or networking.
- Experience with data center or large infrastructure cooling systems.