At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel interfaces and hardware subsystems for virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. We are looking for a skilled and motivated Optical Coating Development Engineer to join our Optical Product Development team at FRL. In this role, you will lead the development of state-of-the-art thin film coatings for AR/VR products within a fast-paced environment, from concept through technology transfer to high volume manufacturing.
- Lead project-level optical coating development activities: design novel thin-film coating structure to meet project requirements and product specification, and develop novel thin-film deposition process solutions to fulfill the thin-film coating design.
- Work effectively with a diverse, interdisciplinary group of researchers & engineers across teams to deliver the coating solutions into final FRL products.
- Take a systematic approach to analyze coating defects and failures to determine root cause and implement corrective actions.
- Communicate within a development team, with internal stakeholders, and with outside vendors.
- BS Degree in Material Science, Physics, Chemistry, Optical Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Experiences with optical film software (e.g. Essential Macleod, OptiLayer and TFCalc.).
- Knowledge of thin-film characterization techniques (e.g. ellipsometry, FTIR, XRD, SEM, EDX, RBS, and SIMS).
- 3+ years of experience in developing novel thin-film process solutions.
- 5+ years hands-on experience in multiple conventional thin film deposition technologies (thermal and electron-beam evaporation, sputtering, chemical vapor deposition) and thorough understanding of the physics and practical mechanics of these processes.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully transferring into high volume manufacturing.
- Understanding of thin film fundamental design theory and material properties.
- Knowledge and experience on hard/dip coating, roll-to-roll and nanostructure coating.
- Knowledge of statistical method and experience in data analysis with tools such as MATLAB, JMP or Python.