Are you an administrative assistant with top-notch computer skills who is looking for a change? Or, are you a legal assistant looking for more stable work, with great pay and excellent benefits? Please apply if you see a position that makes your heart skip a beat. Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Teton County WY is a place where everyone can grow. So, however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Teton County WY is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all Federal, State and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of sex, race, creed, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, ancestry, family status, medical condition, family care leave, genetic predisposition or status as a covered veteran and other protected classifications.
Teton County WY fully embraces the concept of a diverse work force and is prepared to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities and religious practices when necessary. This policy applies to all employment decisions including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits, disciplinary actions and terminations.
Under basic supervision, performs paraprofessional work in a variety of legal secretarial and administrative functions to support the activities of Teton County Attorneys.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides a variety of paraprofessional secretarial support and administrative duties for attorneys in the Teton County & Prosecuting Attorney's Office (TCPA); performs duties within scope of authority and training, and in compliance with County and TCPA policies; job duties may vary according to work assignment.
- Prepares and processes criminal reports, civil complaints, and a variety of legal documents.
- Schedules interviews, trials, hearings, meetings and attorney's calendar items; notifies clients as directed.
- Assists TCPA attorney's preparations for trials and hearings; prepares and delivers legal documents.
- Files legal papers with courts, and processes court papers according to court procedures, TCPA standards, and attorney instructions; notarizes legal documents as required.
- Composes and creates letters, memoranda, and legal documents from general direction, standard formats, copy, rough draft and dictation; prepares and edits confidential and sensitive legal documents, and maintains confidentiality.
- Types and proofreads legal documents; reviews, sorts, and distributes mail; maintains attorney calendars; answers phones and accommodates walk-in clients; manages travel arrangements; coordinates and monitors assigned projects.
- Opens, maintains, organizes, and closes criminal and civil case files; researches files and computer databases; reviews and updates files, computer records, and tracking systems.
- Checks local and state databases, and collects and distributes related information.
- Collects and compiles statistical data, and generates reports; updates and verifies the accuracy of TCPA data base.
- Receives and sends information to and from other criminal justice agencies and jurisdictions.
- Provides information and assistance within the scope of designated authority.
- Supports the relationship between the Teton County staff and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and County staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and County information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent; AND two years of secretarial, administrative support, and computer experience; OR equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Legal office experience is preferred.
Required Licenses and Certifications:
- Certificate as Notary Public from the Wyoming Secretary of State is required.
Required Knowledge of:
- County policies and procedures, and pertinent federal and state laws, regulations, and procedures.
- TCPA policies and procedures for area of assignment.
- Principles of record keeping, case files, and records management.
- Principles and protocols for the management of official documents and court records.
- Legal system and law enforcement agency procedures and terminology.
- Standard and specialized computer software applications.
- Safe work practices and security precautions in a sensitive public environment.
Required Skills in:
- Preparing and maintaining accurate records, and generating reports.
- Creating legal, professional, and technical correspondence.
- Reading legal documents and extracting relevant information.
- Working independently and as a team member, maintaining composure and confidentiality, and working effectively in a high-pressure environment with changing priorities.
- Writing legal documents, reports, and correspondence from brief instructions.
- Responding to inquiries and providing information on departmental services, programs, policies, and procedures.
- Accurately processing legal documents, and maintaining departmental records, files, and documentation.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other staff, law enforcement and criminal justice agencies, and the general public.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Expected to be present during office hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $24.21 - $27.39 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location